Sunday, May 19, 2013

Myths, Statistics, and Expectations... Life after college

As a recent college graduate this post is a little bit more personal but of course still all my opinion and meant to bring in even more conversation and opinions! "What are you doing now?!" The most daunting and stressful question to a college graduate (well to me at least). What do you mean? Can I catch my breathe? No really... as a college graduate you can't breathe for a little you must go on to the next. Says who you ask? Well this stuck up lady named Society. She tells you exactly what your journey should be based on myths, statistics, and HER expectations.

Society and her myths can be destructive to a college graduate's or anyone else's self esteem. Here are some myths of hers I've heard:

1. A college degree will get you the job you want or if you work hard and intern that dream job will be lined up when you graduate.

According to Forbes, "60% of college grads can't find work in their field." 
My opinion: Sometimes it has not a slightest amount about what you did or accomplishment during undergrad but about if the hiring manager was part of your sorority. And no I don't mean networking because you can be networking with everyone in a room and that one person that left the second you got to the party was the CEO of your dream company. It's chance! Now here's the thing networking, college degrees, and internships all prepare you for when that opportunity comes! But what Mrs. Society fails to tell you is that the path to your dream job is a JOURNEY. It may be right after college for some but not all. The key is not to get discouraged but to continue to work hard with no inhibitions or regrets. And yes I'm part of that statistic that hasn't landed their dream job and I had about four internships during my undergrad. At one point, I was doing two internships at the same time! *cough cough* Hi fashion PR companies! I'll gladly send you my resume ;)

Photo Courtesy of rccblog.com


 2. You will find your calling during your undergraduate years. 

My opinion: You may find the general area of what your calling in life might be but its not until you start to experience real work life that you find your niches in the world. The places where you really belong and where you can leverage your talent as an inspiration to others. Someone may have studied Marine Biology but has found their niche in giving speeches around the world about keeping the oceans pollution free. And if you're ADHD (self diagnosed but may just be scatter brained) like me and have several things that you love, it will take a while to find your niche or your leverage on the world. I'm still finding my way to leverage my many talents to be an inspiration and I believe it will have something to do with my voice... you know since I like to talk a lot!

Photo Courtesy of fistfuloftalent.com


3. You have to graduate in 4 years.

My opinion: Mrs. Society take the stick out your rear end! We live in a modern world, life happens. A bachelors degree is for YOU and no one else. You finish when you can. Of course don't lose motivation but there are so many people who turn their noses at those who are still in college after 5 years. YOU DON'T KNOW THEIR LIFE. Society should be an encouragement to those in school after 4 years and not a scorning mother. Some are taking on a double major, some had life issues and missed semesters, or wanted to make sure they chose the right major. BUT they're still there pressing on. Remember 4 years is only the estimated graduation time not the standard


Photo Courtesy of quickmeme.com


4. You'll meet some of your best friends and future life long mate in college.

My opinion: This may be the case for a lot of undergrads but it shouldn't be set as a standard. In my case, I met a lot of great people during my college years and some horrible not so great people. But I realized that my closest friends you know the ones that take things to the grave and stick with you through anything, those are crazy enough from ELEMENTARY. Rare... I know. Big slap in the face to you madame society! I can tell you this... society caused me to be a little discouraged that I did not acquire a bestie as graduation rolled around but as I walked out the ceremony and saw my two elementary  bffs I realized everyone has their own experiences and mine were unique to me and for a reason. As for a mate, that's a laugh. Since when was undergrad match.com?? By the time they finish sleeping with the entire campus they mature enough to realize what they want you'll be graduating with your master's (obviously this is a generalization so don't get your panties in a bunch!) You can find a future mate anywhere not everyone's journey consists of a college sweetheart. Remember it may be for some but not all!

Photo Courtesy of memegenerator.net 

-----

There are so many more myths about life after college and life in general that Mrs. Society with her snooty rules tells us must happen next which in return alters our expectations and eventually discourages us when they aren't met in the order we were told they should be. If there is one thing I've learned as a recent graduate it's that everyone's journey is different.  That's something I wish I was told as I graduated from high school and prepared for my college life. Things may not always happen the way you think they might but the desire and passion in your heart will be fulfilled. I learned that it's more about your calling than it is your profession and each experience you go through good or bad is just taking you straight to your purpose. Instead of stressing about a career after college, let's think about how we want to inspire others with our talents and the rest will come!

"Success is a journey, not a destination." - Ben Sweetland

What myths created by society have you discovered? Do you agree with my myths? 

*Remember the conversation never stops here, it begins. Have a voice, make it count.*

3 comments:

  1. I agree with every single one of these. I've been in college for 6 years and am three classes shy of graduating. It has been a journey. First I couldn't afford to go full time, but my parents made too much money so I didn't qualify for loans and grants (they weren't paying for my college though). So I worked two jobs and went to school part time.

    Graduated with my A.A with honors. Transferred to a University, met my fiance. Became a mother, which of course meant I had to go back to part time status. Began working and blogging, which was really difficult.

    My fiance just graduated last weekend, and now I'm getting ready to FINALLY graduate (with honors again). But when people ask me how long I've been in college, they don't get that entire story attached to that number. Like you said, you don't know someone's life. Be encouraging, don't criticize.

    Whew! Sorry for my novel. Great post.

    -Reese

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this! I haven't graduated yet but It's great to get insight from someone whose going through it before you! Everyone in college should read this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, when I graduated it was like that. I ended up in a great first job but school doesn't tell you about the politics, the petty things, those things that can make or break you, it got so bad. But you will get there...it's just hard work and perseverance. If you have to work laterally to get there, then you should :)

    - Che

    www.style-che.com

    ReplyDelete